With mountainous terrain and temperate climates, Finca Zacatin has the perfect climate for producing exceptional quality coffee. Located in the Antioquia, Colombia, it receives two harvests each year, with 60% between November and February, and the remaining 40% from April to June.
Eduardo Fernandez is the third generation of the Fernandez family, which traditionally produced commercial coffee. Just over four years ago, he learnt of the different attributes between the various Arabica varietals and started a side project. He began cultivating a selection of unusual beans from around the world, to taste the difference between them. Today, this project has flourished into a large scale production, with varietals such as Gesha, Pink Bourbon, SL28, and Tabi.
This lot is comprised of 100% Pink Bourbon, which is selectively-handpicked from the coffee trees. The cherries are then delivered to the state-of-the-art mill, where it undergoes two stages of sorting, once by machine, and another by hand. Here, the cherries are deliberately sorted to include a specific mix of 70% ripe, 20% overripe, and 10% half-ripe. This is designed to give the desired flavor profile for these lots. After sorting, the cherries are floated in water to remove the lighter floating cherries.
The cherries are then placed into a tank for aerobic fermentation, which increases the fruit characteristics of the coffee. After 12 hours, the cherries are depulped, and moved to another tank for malolactic fermentation. This is designed to increase the body of the coffee, adding a rounder mouthfeel. Following the fermentation process, the coffee is laid out to dry.
The coffee will dry for 2-3 weeks, dependant on the weather, until the moisture content reaches 11%. Thereafter, the coffee is placed into protective GrainPro sacks and left to rest for a minimum of 2 weeks, before being milled for export.
The delicious coffee starts with passionfruit in the aroma, transitioning into strawberries, and some grape candy, and rounds off with tropical fruit notes like starfruit.
Stay tuned for more goodies coming up!
Let us know what you think about the coffees in your Surprise Box. Tag us at @ppp.coffee and hashtag #PPPCoffeeSurprise.
Not a subscriber? Join now and get two unique bags of coffees delivered to your doorstep from just SGD26 per month.